2017 – 2018 Policies & Procedures
Below, you will find the policies and procedures that all clients must adhere to. Please click the link, above, if you wish to download and print the policies for your records.
LOST & FOUND: Please label all your belongings. If it has your name on it, we will be able to return it. All unlabeled items will be put in our lost and found box at the front desk. Unclaimed items will be donated to charity at the end of the year
- A non-refundable fee of $15 per student/$20.00 per family is required yearly at time of registration.
- Non-refundable performance fee of $45.00 per student that includes yearbook, participation awards & performance t-shirt is due at time of registration.
- Payments received after posted due dates will be charged a late fee of $25 per month, per item.
- Tuition must be paid by automatic credit card payment or a set of post-dated cheques for the complete teaching year at the time of registration in order for a spot to be guaranteed.
- No credit card will be accepted as a payment method for amounts less than $20.00.
- NNT (non-negotiable transactions) will be assessed a $25.00 charge if payments cannot be processed on the posted due dates. This includes NSF cheques, bank payments refused or credit cards held, expired or cancelled. Payment is required within 4 business days of notification by cash or debit.
- Students may not be admitted into class if there is an unpaid balance on their account & will not be permitted to participate in any performance if there are any outstanding fees.
- All fees are subject to change.
Payment by Credit Card
- Tuition will be charged to your credit card on the 15th day of September, December 1 and March 1.
- You must sign an automatic credit card charge authorization form. Client is responsible to provide current credit card information including updated expiration dates.
Payment by Post-dated Cheques
- Tuition must be paid by a series of postdated monthly cheques or ones dated for September 15th, December 1 and March 1. Cheques should be made payable to Rising Star Academy of Arts.
- All cheques must be received upon registration to confirm lesson time. No lesson times will be confirmed without receipt of all post-dated cheques.
- Post-dated cheques may be exchanged for cash, debit, or credit card, but must be done no later than 4 business days before payment due date.
Withdrawal & Refunds
- Withdrawal from dance, theatre or music lessons for the months of September and October must occur within the first 7 days of the month and is subject to a $30.00 withdrawal fee.
- Withdrawal must be done in person and will not be accepted over the phone. Withdrawal must be done at the front desk and not with the teacher. To withdraw from lessons a parent or adult student must:
- Inform school administration, and
- Complete and sign a withdrawal form provided by the school office.
Over and above your staturation rights you further have the right to cancel this agreement with written notification until October 31st of the given year; therefore no refunds will be issued after October 31st of each year and client is responsible for all outstanding monetary balances (including tuition fees for the entire year that runs September thru June following the public school schedule year, costume balances, competition/performance fees)
- Rising Star Academy of Arts reserves the right to terminate lessons to any students without notice. In such a case a refund for unused tuition will be given.
Missed Lessons and Make-up Lessons
- Make-up lessons will be given for missed private music lessons due to illness. Make-up music lessons will be available twice per season in the form of a group theory class. Students will be advised of the date of these makeup lessons.
- No refunds are given for missed lessons. (School activities such as ski trips or programs, band trips, Spring Breaks that differ from our school’s Spring Break, sports games, family holidays etc. do not qualify for make-up lessons.)
- Dance and theatre students will be given makeup music lessons for lessons missed because of scheduled Rising Star dance or theatre events. This option does not apply to siblings.
- Make-up lessons for dance and theatre classes are available until the end of December. Please check with the front desk to find the appropriate class. No refunds are given for missed dance or theatre lessons.
Extreme Weather or Unexpected Interruption of Lessons
- If the school must cancel lessons due to extreme weather or events beyond our control such as power outages, the missed lessons will be added on to the end of the teaching year. No refunds for lessons missed due to these reasons will be given.
Substitutions/Care of Students
- The school reserves the right to provide a substitute teacher if the regularly scheduled teacher is ill or otherwise unable to attend a lesson. If a teacher is ill and the school cannot arrange a substitute any missed lessons will be made up.
- The school is not responsible for providing before or after class care for students. Students are not to be left at the school for excessive time before or after lessons.
Parent’s Responsibility to be Aware of Dates and Events
- It is the responsibility of the parents or adult student to be aware of school activities such as recitals and shows, in addition to the dates that the school is open and closed. The school will post notices on the bulletin board as well as emailing and posting to the website. It is the parent’s responsibility to regularly check this board/email/website to ensure they are informed.
- It is also the responsibility of the parents or adult student to inform the school of any address, telephone number or email change.
- Parents are responsible to inform the academy about classes that the student will be missing either by email or phone call to the front desk.
- Parents, legal guardians of minor students and adult students waive the right to any legal action for any injury sustained on school property resulting from normal lesson activity or any other activity conducted by the students before, during or after lesson time.
- Students who are injured or ill but still able to attend classes are requested to attend private music lessons for theory work or dance and theatre lessons to learn choreography/spacing.
- Students returning to classes after injury or serious illness must provide a doctor’s note stating their fitness to return to supervised physical activities.
- Students who must withdraw from lessons due to medical reasons must provide a doctor's note and fill out a withdrawal form in person. Client is still responsible for all outstanding monetary balances (including tuition fees, costume balances, competition/performance fees). Tuition fees already paid may be credited to next year's registration.
- The school is hereby granted permission to take video/photographs of the students to use in brochures, web sites, posters, advertisements and other promotional materials the school creates. Permission is also hereby granted for the school to copyright such photographs in its name.
- All Academy information is sent via email. Notes and newsletters are also posted on our lobby board and the website. Please ensure that we have a valid email address for you so that you receive important details & invoices in a timely fashion.
- We encourage all students to practice at home and know their exercises, scales and songs, steps and routines. Rising Star Academy of Arts encourages music, dance and theatre as part of a healthy balanced lifestyle.
- Please put all outside shoes on the shelves provided in the hallway. This reduces the risk of injury and helps keep dirt from being tracked in and damaging our floors.
Food & Drink
- Due to severe allergies, Rising Star Academy of Arts is a PEANUT FREE FACILITY.
- Absolutely no nuts or nut products are allowed in the studio.
- Only bottled water is allowed in the studios please, no other food or drink in the studios or change room.
- NO GUM OR CANDY IN THE STUDIOS.
- While instances of disruptive behaviour or derogatory comments are extremely rare, we must point out that such behaviour from students/parents will not be tolerated at Rising Star Academy of Arts.
- Continued issues may result in a student being asked to leave the class, parents being notified, and in extreme cases, being asked to permanently leave the studio.
NO CELL PHONES allowed in class. Please leave them in your locker or bag.
Dance & Theatre Policies
- Good attendance is essential to the success of the student, as classes are reviewed, but not re-taught. There are no refunds for missed classes, but make up classes are available until the end of December. Please check with the front desk to find an appropriate class.
- If a student is more than 10 minutes late for class, they will participate at the teachers’ discretion. The beginning of class is very important to ensure that a proper warm-up and stretch is done to reduce the risk of injuries. Please arrive with enough time to ensure you are ready when class starts with hair done, shoes on, and dressed appropriately.
- Repeated lateness may result in termination of lessons. A minimum attendance level will be required. If a student misses more than 4 classes without written notices, the school reserves the right to terminate lessons.
- Students missing more than 4 classes after January may not be allowed to participate in the year-end dance recital, festivals or competitions.
- Classes are closed to observers but the closed-circuit TV in our lobby is available for viewing classes.
- Observation Week is held in October for all students and again in February for all 3-6 year old classes.
- Performance provides not only a goal for the student, but an opportunity to share the experience of dance and theatre with family and friends. We recognize the importance of performance in a student’s arts education and encourage this through opportunities to perform in public.
- Volunteers are required help recital run smoothly. One to two volunteers are required for all Little Stars, Junior and Pre-Teen classes backstage at recital or a $30.00/per student Volunteer Fee will be charged to pay for someone to look after the students backstage. A volunteer sign-up sheet is available at the front desk.
- NO PHOTOGRAPHY OR VIDEOTAPING is allowed during performances. Rising Star Academy of Arts provides photo services which are optional to purchase. We ask that all students participate in the group photo so that they may be displayed in our lobby.
- Each family receives one free performance DVD. Additional DVDs are available for purchase.
- All students (except Dance for 2’s) are included in our year-end performances and therefore require a costume which is ordered by the studio.
- A $70.00 costume deposit split into 2 payments due October 14 & November 14 is non-refundable/nontransferable. No costume fees will be refunded after this date even if a student withdraws from the school.
- The above deposits will be subtracted from the final costume balance and invoices will be sent home in February/March.
- NO Costumes will be released until all outstanding payments are made for tuition, costumes, and administration fees.
- As all students perform in our year end recital, costumes will be ordered for all students. If you do not notify us that your child will not be performing, a costume will still be purchased for your child and you will be responsible for payment.
Miscellaneous: Parents and adult students are to be aware that the school promotes healthy body image among the students. As such, we approve if our teachers snack during the course of the teaching day. Parents are to be aware that dancing as a profession is physically demanding and proper body care is essential.
Music School Policies
- Good attendance is essential to the success of the student. Make-up lessons will be given for missed private music lessons due to illness only. Make-up lessons will be available twice per session in the form of a group theory class. Students will be advised of the date of these makeup lessons.
- Rescheduling of missed lessons or changing dates/times of lessons during the year is not possible as the time slot assigned to students is theirs for the entire year. Teachers have reserved that date and time for your child and get paid no matter whether the student attends or is absent. If a student is late for their lesson, they will get a shortened lesson that day as there are other students scheduled in the next time slot.
- A minimum attendance level will be required. If a student misses more than 4 classes without written notices, the school reserves the right to terminate lessons.
- Classes are closed to observers but teachers may invite parents to observe lessons from time to time.
- Performance provides not only a goal for the student, but an opportunity to share the experience of music with family and friends and show their accomplishments. We recognize the importance of performance in a student’s arts education and encourage this through opportunities to perform in public.
- There are two music recitals during the year. A Winter Concert is held in January or February and a Year-End Concert is held in June. We offer three or four performance times in order to keep the musical recitals to less than one hour.
- PHOTOGRAPHY and VIDEOTAPING are allowed during performances. We ask that all students participate in Picture Day in April so that they may be included in our yearbook.
Additional Performance Opportunities
We are proud that we can offer students other performance opportunities at the following events:
- Winnipeg Music Festival
- Royal Conservatory Exams
- Open Mic nights at local coffee shops
- Singing “O Canada” at various sporting events
- Professional Recording at Studio 11 & by Jackie Shaw Promotions
If you or your children are interested in these opportunities please stop by the front desk for more information